Fran Hagstrom received a Ph.D. in Developmental Psychology from Clark University, a Master of Science in Language Sciences from The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, a Master of Arts in Speech from St. Louis University, and a Bachelor of Arts in Speech from Southwest Baptist University. Prior to coming to the University of Arkansas, she taught at the University of Houston and Smith College. Dr. Hagstrom is a member of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, from which she holds a certificate of clinical competence; the American Psychological Association; and the International Society for Cultural and Activity Research.
Dr. Hagstrom teaches in the program area of Communication Disorders and serves as the program's coordinator. Her courses focus on language development and disorders, cognitive-communicative development and disorders, and undergraduate research. She serves on the COEHP Honors Council, and is involved with the campus National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Dr. Hagstrom is a member of the Editorial Board for the journal, Infancia Y Aprendizaje, and serves on the scientific committee for the journal, Saúde.
- Cognitive-communicative change across the lifespan
- Semiotic mediation of mental functioning
- Identity and disability
- Normal Speech and Language Development
- Child Language Disorders
- Cognitive-Communication Development and Disorders
- Ph.D., Clark University, Developmental Psychology, 1994
- M.S., University of Texas Health Science Center, Language Sciences, 1977
- M.A., St. Louis University, Speech, 1970
- B.A., Southwest Baptist University, Speech, 1967
- Hagstrom, F., & Wertsch, J. V. (2004). Grounding social identity for professional practice. Topics in Language Disorders, 24(3), 162-173.
- Hagstrom, F. (2004). Including identity in clinical practices. Topics in Language Disorders, 24(3), 225-238.
- Hagstrom, F., & Daniels, D. E. (2004). Social identity and the stuttering experience. Contemporary Issues in Communication Sciences and Disorders, 31, 215-224.
- Hagstrom, F. (2003). Beyond the ear. In J. Muma & H. Teller (Eds.), Proactive Deaf Education. Hillsboro, OR: Butte Publications, Inc.